Cape Vincent Brief History

The Village of Cape Vincent was incorporated with a population of 1218 on June 14, 1853, making it one of the younger communities in the State of New York. But our historical roots reach back to 1615 when explorer Samuel de Champlain was in the vicinity. In 1654 Jesuit Missionaries visited the native Onondaga and Iriquois Indian tribes who used the area as their hunting grounds. Dablon Point, in the Town of Cape Vincent was named after French Missionary priest Father Dablon, who worked among the Indians with Father Chaumonoit in 1655. Both EnglandĀ and France endeavored to monopolize the Indian trade and extend their influence among the native tribes, establishing missions, building trading posts, and settling in the area.

Carelton and Linda Islands in the St. Lawrence River; and Grenadier, Little Grenadier and Fox Islands in Lake Ontario are all part of the Township of Cape Vincent, as are the hamlets of Rosiere, St. Lawrence Corners, Sand Bay, and Millen Bay.

Fort Haldimand on Carleton Island played an important part in the Revolutionary War, and the Tibbetts Point Lighthouse, located on shore where Lake Ontario empties into the St. Lawrence River has been an important navigation aid since 1827. It was rebuilt in 1854 and a fog horn was installed in 1895. The lighthouse keeper’s house currently serves as a Youth Hostel and Visitor Center.

Navigation
1000islands